Logo

  • Incorporating:
  • EDelivery Expo

Explore the future of
digital retail innovation

Logo

  1. ACQUIRE
  2. CONVERT
  3. FULFIL
  4. REPEAT

IRX News Hub

Hero background

Sainsbury's records one online sale every second this Christmas

16-Jan-2018

Original article by Chloe Rigby, published on www.internetretailing.net, January 12, 2018.

The chain reported a record Christmas week in a third-quarter trading statement out this week.

It said retail sales, excluding fuel, rose by 1.2% in total and by 1.1% on a like-for-like basis over the 15 weeks to January 6. Food sales were up by 2.3%, with online sales up by 8.2% and convenience sales up by 7.3%. But sales of general merchandise, through both its Sainsbury’s and Argos brands, were down by 1.4%, although online sales grew by more than 8%.

Fast track collection grew by 39% and delivery by 25% during the quarter, especially during Black Friday and in the final run up to Christmas, when shoppers could order for same day delivery until 1pm on Christmas Eve. Its last same-day delivery was at 6.39pm that day. So far 164 Argos stores have been opened in Sainsbury’s supermarkets and it also has 15 Mini Habitat stores in supermarkets. There are also 204 digital collection points in supermarkets, including 37 in convenience stores for shoppers to pick up Argos, DPD, eBay and Tu clothing online orders.

Chief executive Mike Coupe said: “We had a strong Christmas week, with record sales, over 340,000 online grocery orders and stellar growth in Argos Fast Track delivery and collection. Online accounted for 20% of the Group’s sales during the quarter.

“We delivered an excellent operational performance across the group, with great availability, strong customer satisfaction scores and our lowest level of waste ever at Christmas. Friday 22nd was our biggest sales day for stores and we also delivered an online grocery order to customers every second.”

It now plans to focus on differentiating its food offer and extending multichannel services including same-day grocery delivery, now available from 93 stores, and SmartShop scan as you go shopping.

Add a Comment




Please enter the code shown below:


Recent Comments

No Recent Comments
Loading
5,000

Visitors

300

Exhibitors

100

Speakers

100

Content Hours

2018 speakers

  • I love IRX it has that great mix of interesting sessions and speakers, as well as a good exhibition filled with new suppliers and new technologies – it’s a great time out of the office!
    Sarah Stagg
    Director of Digital Product, House of Fraser
  • IRX is a must attend event, I’m here every year. It’s a great venue… really convenient venue and a lot of great exhibitors.
    Stuart McMillan
    Deputy Head of eCommerce, Schuh
  • The thing about IRX is the consistency, it’s now a very well established show, it’s well-known within our industry and for me what’s interesting, is that it attracts a lot of established businesses that want to do even more and get even bigger.
    Julian Wallis
    Head of Sales UK & Ireland, Ingenico ePayments
  • I think it’s one of the biggest events of the year, I’ve actually come over from Sweden to be here today and it seems like it’s bigger than ever before.
    Kieran Clinton-Tarestad
    Global Head of eCommerce, GANT
  • This is one of the best places from a networking perspective to meet new people.
    Mike Durbridge
    Omni Channel Director, B&Q
  • IRX I always find useful. It’s one of the biggest exhibitions for the internet retailing space.
    Neil Sansom
    CEO, Woolovers

 

Location

Hall 2
The NEC Birmingham

Information

Clarion LogoIRX is organised by Internet Retailing Events, registered in England and Wales, Company Number 07081797, VAT No. GB 843845601 

Registered Office: Bedford House, 69-79 Fulham High Street, London, SW6 3JW, United Kingdom

Internet Retailing Events are a subsidiary of Clarion Events Limited.